The hardest part of building a custom home is trying to decide how you want to live in your home. Then how to stay in the budget you make for your build. We had so many ideas and plans we loved but we wanted something that was all ours and not like anyone else. We wanted to lay it out just how we wanted to live. Our lives have changed over the years and now its just Jason and I. The kids are all adult but we are living across the street from the beach so visitors of family and friends we will have. So we planned according to that also. Think about all the rooms and how you will live in them. We started with the kitchen the hub of our home and worked out from there. Small list of ideas we had to start with….
- 3 Bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, powder bath, pool bath
- Kitchen, dinning, great room, clubroom & office, pantry, laundry, art studio
- Large kitchen two islands, one for prep and one for casual eating
- Vaulted ceilings in specific rooms of the house
- Tub area in master bathroom
- Dining room for family heirloom table
- Guest bedrooms with their own baths
- large width, height and depth garages
- Art studio and design office for Suzanne
- Club room and office for Jason
- Outdoor Kitchen, and living space
- Pool and enclosure
You will find your own list of things you want/need. We made a list of all our necessary needs, and then wants. It was harder to accomplish than you would think. There are so many moving parts to a custom build. If you select the right builder they will guide you and help you make great choices. Know in advance that you will go over budget in places and may be under in others. We planned a budget and then we planned a buffer for the things we just could not go without.
Next I will talk about the style of our home and how we came to that…. I hope you have a great week and thanks for following along on our dream home journey.